FAQs and Resources

Frequently asked questions

How do I report a pollution incident?
Please contact your local water utility to report a sewage spill or your local council to report other pollution incidents.

What should I do if I come into contact with potentially polluted water?
If you come into contact with a potentially polluted waterway, it is advisable to wash with soap and clean water as soon as possible. Pay particular attention to any open cuts to prevent infection.

What should I do if I get sick?
If you experience stomach upsets or infections after contact with a waterway, please visit your doctor for medical advice.

Who is most vulnerable?
Certain people may be more vulnerable to contracting illness and infection than others. Children under five years old, the elderly, people with compromised immune systems and people with open cuts are generally most at risk.



Useful information for the community


Resources for waterway managers

Get in touch

Healthy Land and Water is dedicated to the care of our unique and beautiful land, waterways and biodiversity.

  • Address: Level 19, 160 Ann Street Brisbane QLD 4000
  • PO Box: 13204, George Street Brisbane QLD 4003
  • Phone: (07) 3177 9100
  • Fax: (07) 3177 9190
  • Email: info@hlw.org.au

We won't ever sell or rent your information. Read our Privacy Policy.
© Healthy Land and Water 2023