Living Waterways Finalist for QORF Award
Water by Design’s (WbD) flagship program the Living Waterways Framework has been nominated as a finalist in the Queensland Outdoor Recreation Federation (QORF) awards in the Government Achievement Award Category.
WbD has developed the Living Waterways scorecard to benchmark and incentivise stormwater management systems that provide multiple benefits - not just stormwater conveyance.
This is a major shift in paradigm, where community benefit and environment and cultural considerations are included in stormwater management planning. The framework has been developed to assist practitioners and local governments to design athletically pleasing recreational spaces which encourage connection with water.
The Living Waterways scorecard was developed in close consultation with local governments, developers and consultants who all wanted more out of their investment into stormwater management systems.
The scorecard places a strong focus on stormwater management solutions that provide social benefits including:
- walkways alongside creeks, ponds
- spaces for quiet contemplation
- places for the community to meet and strengthen social ties
- connection of the local community to the natural environment
- educational signage and artwork
- sustainable water reuse, e.g. tank water for community gardens
- aesthetic environments that are safe and welcoming
- resilient landscapes that provide a range of habitats for local flora and fauna
The Living Waterways scorecard is already catalysing the implementation of these multi-benefit projects across Queensland and New South Wales. The QORF Awards are presented on the 27th of October 2017. We wish the Water by Design team good luck!