Plastic Pollution Revolution
Healthy Waterways launched the Plastic Pollution Revolution in 2012 to create a movement of people who are committed to reducing their plastic footprint. As at October 2014, over five and a half thousand people have taken the pledge!
As an incentive to join the Plastic Pollution Revolution, everyone who makes a pledge on Facebook to reduce their use of plastic will go in the draw to win a family holiday to Tangalooma Island Resort. Winners are announced every month on our Facebook page.
Some startling statistics about the impacts of plastics:
- Every year, over 7 million tonnes of rubbish ends up in the world’s oceans, 80% of which is plastic.
- Plastic never biodegrades, it breaks up into smaller and smaller pieces, gradually turning our waterways and oceans into ‘plastic soup’.
- Waterway litter is extremely harmful to wildlife that become entangled or mistake litter for food, resulting in injury or death.
- Up to 30% of turtle deaths in Moreton Bay are caused by the ingestion of plastic litter.
- Waterway litter causes the death of 100,000 marine mammals per year, including dugongs, turtles and whales.
To join the Revolution:
VISIT our Facebook page
PLEDGE, choose an action or create your own
REDUCE your plastic footprint
SHARE the Revolution with colleagues, friends and family
Help us spread the word!